I hope you’re having a lovely weekend so far. There’s definitely a chill in the air here in Norfolk. I went out for dinner with some girlfriends last night, and this morning my friend Shelley and I went to a cafe near me for breakfast. For the first time I wore one of my winter coats and a scarf! It really does feel like summer has faded very quickly, I can’t believe that it was only 5-6 weeks ago that we were sweltering!
So, as I mentioned in my last couple of posts, I am turning the craft room into a photography studio. This wasn’t really on the cards last week, (I can be quite impulsive when it comes to making house decor decisions!) but now it seems like the most effective way to make the space really work for me.
This wall is being re skimmed tomorrow – I’ve been filling the holes back to the brick, where the old plaster was crumbling to dust. Once I’ve published this post, I have to go and roller some bonding grit onto the wall, to prepare it for plastering. It’s been a bit of a journey! The alcove you see in the final pic (sorry for the terrible shaky photo, I didn’t use my tripod) is going to have a built in cupboard, using the original pine door to the studio. So it will look like it has always been there, and will blend in perfectly. It will have 7 shelves so I can store all my props, fabrics and paints. Although I’m going to have to make some decisions and whittle down my collections slightly!
The other thing I’ve done today which is a bit of a game changer, is to attach some castors to my bench (Rill castors from Ikea – I picked up a couple of packs from the store when I was working down in Southampton). So now I can move it about to wherever I want, without having to drag it across the floor! I can even just move it out into the hallway if needs be. I’m now wondering what else can get the castor treatment! It’s so important that this room is practical, so that I can easily set up backdrops and room sets.
All in all it’s quite exciting, and I’ll share some more photos with you next week once the wall is finished!